Sunday 1 March 2009

Starvedog Lane Sauvignon Blanc 2005, Adelaide Hills, Australia


I have never really been a fan of Australian Sauvignon Blanc, being a converted New Zealand Sauvignon drinker, but this little number from Constellation is a real gem.


This wine is the colour of watered down lemon juice and the nose has crisp clean aromas of crushed lemon leaves,with a hint of green apples.

The palate has plenty of acidity which is a bit rare for an inexpensive Australian Sauvignon, which can often be a bit flabby due to excess heat. But not this one, benefiting from plenty of altitude, it has flavours of passionfruit, guava, and lime and a nice dry lingering finish. A great wine but one not many people are familiar with, even I had never heard of it until I scored a bottle at work the other day.


This was the 2005 vintage and I was sceptical as I thought it could be a bit past it but it is drinking great so get some if you can.

No comments: